Updated: May 25, 2018
2. Data that we collect
2.1. The data you share with us
We may collect different information from or about you depending on how you use the Site.
If you create an account and use the Site, including through a third-party platform, we collect the information you provide directly. This information stored by us and associated with your account includes:
- Account Data ("Account Data"): in order to use certain features, for example to get access to your purchases at the Site, you need to create a user account. When you create or update your account, we collect and store the data you provide, like your email address and password.
- Profile Data: you can also choose to provide profile information like a gender, date of birth, photo, headline, website link, social media profiles or other data. Your Profile Data will be publicly viewable by others.
- Shared Content: parts of the Site let you interact with other users or share content publicly, including by posting reviews, asking or answering questions and files you upload. Such shared content may be publicly viewable by others depending on where it is posted.
- Account Payment Data: if you make purchases, we collect certain data about your purchase (such as your name and zip code) as necessary to process your order. You must provide certain payment and billing data directly to our payment processing partners, including your name, credit card information, billing address, and zip code. For security, the Site does not collect or store sensitive cardholder data, such as full credit card numbers or card authentication data.
2.2. The data we gather automatically
- System Data ("System Data"): technical data about your computer or device, like your IP address, device type, operating system type and version, unique device identifiers, browser, browser language, domain and other systems data, and platform types.
- Usage Data ("Usage Data"): usage statistics about your interactions with the Site, including pages accessed, time spent on pages or the Site, pages visited, features used, your search queries, click data, date and time, and other data regarding your use of the Site.
- Approximate Geographic Data: an approximate geographic location, including information like country, city, and geographic coordinates, calculated based on your IP address.
3. How do we collect adta about you?
3.1. Cookies and data collection tools
3.1.1. What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files stored by your browser as you browse the internet. They can be used to collect, store, and share data about your activities across websites, including on the Site. Cookies also allow us to remember things about your visits to the Site, like your preferred language, and to make the site easier to use.
We use both session cookies, which expire after a short time or when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which remain stored in your browser for a set period of time. We use session cookies to identify you during a single browsing session, like when you log into the Site. We use persistent cookies where we need to identify you over a longer period, like when you request that we keep you signed in.
- Authentication and security: to log you into the Site; to protect your security; to help detect and fight spam, abuse, and other activities that violate the Site's agreements.
- Preferences: to remember data about your browser and your preferences; to remember your settings and other choices you've made.
- Personalized content: to customize the Site with more relevant content.
- Advertising: to provide you with more relevant advertising.
Please note that where advertising technology is integrated into the Site, you may still receive advertising on other websites and applications, but it will not be tailored to your interests.
When using mobile applications you may also receive tailored in-app advertisements. Apple iOS, Android OS and Microsoft Windows each provide its own rules on how to control in-app tailored advertising. For other devices and operating systems, you should review your privacy settings or contact your platform operator.
3.1.3. Cookies privacy options?
- Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can change your browser settings to decline cookies by consulting your browser's support articles. If you decide to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some interactive features in the Site.
- Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, so your browser's cookie-management tools may not remove them. To learn more about how to manage Flash cookies, see Adobe's article on managing flash cookies and Site Storage Settings panel.
- To get information and control cookies used for tailored advertising from participating companies, see the consumer opt-out pages for the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance, or if you're located in the European Union, visit the Your Online Choices site. To opt out of Google Analytics' display advertising or customize Google Display Network ads, visit the Google Ads Settings page.
3.2. Cookies and data collection tools usage
The Site uses the following types of cookies:
- Preferences: cookies that remember data about your browser and preferred settings that affect the appearance and behavior of the Site (like your preferred language).
- Security: cookies used to enable you to log in and access the Site; protect against fraudulent logins; and help detect and prevent abuse or unauthorized use of your account.
- Functional: cookies that store functional settings (like the volume level you set for video playback).
- Session State: cookies that track your interactions with the Site to help us improve the Site and your browsing experience, remember your login details, and enable processing of your purchases at the Site. These are strictly necessary for the Site to work properly, so if you disable them then certain functionalities will break or be unavailable.
Some of the third-party partners who provide certain features on our site may also use Local Storage Objects (also known as flash cookies or LSOs) to collect and store data.
We use third-party browser and mobile analytics services like Google Analytics on the Site. These services use Data Collection Tools to help us analyze your use of the Site, including information like the third-party website you arrive from, how often you visit, events within the Site, usage and performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We use this data to improve the Site, better understand how the Site perform on different devices, and provide information that may be of interest to you.
3.4. Online advertising
Depending on the types of advertising services we use, they may place cookies or other tracking technologies on your computer, smartphone, tablet or other device to collect data about your use of our Site, and may access those tracking technologies in order to serve these tailored advertisements to you. To help deliver tailored advertising, we may provide these service providers with a hashed, anonymized version of your email address (in a non-human-readable form) and content that you share publicly on the Site.
When using mobile applications you may also receive tailored in-app advertisements. Apple iOS, Android OS and Microsoft Windows each provide their own rules on how to control in-app tailored advertising. For other devices and operating systems, you should review your privacy settings or contact your platform operator.
4. Why do we need and use your data?
We use your data to do things like provide our Site, communicate with you, troubleshoot issues, secure against fraud and abuse, improve and update our Site, analyze how people use our Site, serve personalized advertising, and as required by law or necessary for safety and integrity.
We use the data we collect through your use of the Site to:
- Provide and administer the Site, including to display customized content and facilitate communication with other users;
- Process your requests and orders for products, specific services, information or other features;
- Communicate with you about your account by:
- Responding to your questions and concerns;
- Sending you administrative messages and information, notifications about changes to our Site, and updates to our agreements;
- Sending you information and in-app messages about new products, newservices, new features, promotions, newsletters;
- Sending push notifications to your wireless device to provide updates and other relevant messages (which you can manage from the "options" or "settings" page of the mobile app);
- Manage your account preferences;
- Facilitate the Site' technical functioning, including troubleshooting and resolving issues, securing the Site, and preventing fraud and abuse;
- Solicit feedback from users;
- Market and administer surveys and promotions administered or sponsored by the Site;
- Learn more about you by linking your data with additional data through third-party data providers or analyzing the data with the help of analytics service providers;
- Identify unique users across devices;
- Tailor advertisements across devices;
- Improve our Site and develop new products, services, and features;
- Analyze trends and traffic, track purchases, and track usage data;
- Advertise the Site on third-party websites and applications;
- As required or permitted by law; or
- As we, in our sole discretion, otherwise determine to be necessary to ensure the safety or integrity of our users, employees, third parties, the public or our Site.
5. Parties we can share your data with
We share certain data about you with some companies performing services for us, analytics and data enrichment providers, your social media providers, companies helping us run promotions and surveys and advertising companies who help us promote our Site. We may also share your data as needed for security, legal compliance or as part of a corporate restructuring. Lastly, we can share data in other ways if it is aggregated or de-identified or if we get your consent.
- With Service Providers, Contractors and Agents: we share your data with third-party companies who perform services on our behalf, like payment processing, data analysis, marketing and advertising services (including retargeted advertising), email and hosting services, and customer services and support. These service providers may access your personal data and are required to use it solely as we direct, to provide our requested service.
- To Administer Promotions and Surveys: we may share your data as necessary to administer, market or sponsor promotions and surveys you choose to participate in, as required by applicable law (like to provide a winners list or make required filings), or in accordance with the rules of the promotion or survey.
- For Security and Legal Compliance: we may disclose your data to third parties if we (in our sole discretion) have a good faith belief that the disclosure is:
- Permitted or required by law;
- Requested as part of a judicial, governmental, or legal inquiry, order, or proceeding;
- Reasonably necessary as part of a valid subpoena, warrant, or other legally-valid request;
- Required to detect, prevent, or address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule or regulation), or security or technical issues; or
- Reasonably necessary in our discretion to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property, or safety of the Site, our users, employees, members of the public, or our Site;
- During a Change in Control: if the Site undergoes a business transaction like a merger, acquisition, corporate divestiture, or dissolution (including bankruptcy), or a sale of all or some of its assets, we may share, disclose, or transfer all of your data to the successor organization during such transition or in contemplation of a transition (including during due diligence).
- After Aggregation/De-identification: we can disclose or use aggregate or de-identified data for any purpose.
We use appropriate security based on the type and sensitivity of data being stored. As with any internet-enabled system, there is always a risk of unauthorized access, so it's important to protect your password and to contact us if you suspect any unauthorized access to your account.
The Site takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal data that we collect and store. These measures vary based on the type and sensitivity of the data. Unfortunately, however, no system can be 100% secured, so we cannot guarantee that communications between you and the Site, the Site, or any information provided to us in connection with the data we collect through the Site will be free from unauthorized access by third parties. Your password is an important part of our security system, and it is your responsibility to protect it. You should not share your password with any third party, and if you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should change it immediately and contact us with any concerns.
7. Your rights
You have certain rights around the use of your data, including the ability to opt out of promotional emails, cookies, and collection of your data by certain analytics providers. You can update or terminate your account from within our Site, and can also contact us for individual rights requests about your personal data. Parents who believe we've unintentionally collected personal data about their underage child should contact us for help deleting that information.
7.1. Users' choices about the use of their information
You can choose not to provide certain data to us, but you may not be able to use certain features of the Site.
- To stop receiving promotional communications from us, you can opt out by using the unsubscribe mechanism in the promotional communication you receive or by changing the email preferences in your account. Note that regardless of your email preference settings, we will send you transactional and relationship messages regarding the Site, including administrative confirmations, order confirmations, important updates about the Site, and notices about our policies.
- The browser or device you use may allow you to control cookies and other types of local data storage. Your wireless device may also allow you to control whether location or other data is collected and shared.
- To opt out of Google's display advertising or customize Google Display Network ads, visit the Google Ads Settings page.
- To opt out of allowing Google Analytics, please check Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
7.2. Accessing, updating, and deleting of your personal data
You can access and update your personal data that the Site collects and maintains as follows:
- To update data you provide directly, log into your account and update your account at any time.
- To terminate your account:
- Please visit your profile settings page and follow the steps detailed there.
- If you have any issues terminating your account contact us.
- To request to access, correct, or delete your personal data, contact us directly. Please allow up to 30 days for a response. For your protection, we may require that the request be sent through the email address associated with your account, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. Please note that we retain certain data where we have a lawful basis to do so, including for mandatory record-keeping and to complete transactions.
We recognize the privacy interests of children and encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children's online activities and interests. Children under 13 (or under 16 in the European Economic Area) should not use the Site. If we learn that we've collected personal data from a child under those ages, we will take reasonable steps to delete it.
Parents who believe that the Site may have collected personal data from a child under those ages can contact us that it be removed.
8. Particular jurisdiction rules
8.1. California users
If you are a California resident, you have the right to request certain details about what personal information we share with third parties for those third parties' direct marketing purposes. To submit your request, contact us with the phrase "California Shine the Light" and include your mailing address, state of residence, and email address.
Since the internet industry is still working on Do Not Track standards, solutions, and implementations, we do not currently recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track signals.
8.2. Non-US users
In operating the Site, we process data as a controller (as such terms are defined in EU General Data Protection Regulation). As a controller, the Site is committed to fulfill data subjects' ("Users") GDPR rights.